Sunday 3 June 2012

The Descendants




Based on the best-selling novel by Kaui Hart Hemmings and set in Hawaii, THE DESCENDANTS is a sometimes humorous, sometimes tragic journey for Matt King (George Clooney) an indifferent husband and father of two girls, who is forced to re-examine his past and embrace his future when his wife suffers a boating accident off of Waikiki. The event leads to a rapprochement with his young daughters while Matt wrestles with a decision to sell the family’s land handed down from Hawaiian royalty and missionaries. -- screen invasion

I just watched this film last night, though it's not the movie that can make me think about it for few days when it finishes, it's good though. It's moving somehow. I like lots of quotes from this movie. Some are funny but so true. Here' re the quotes I like :) 





Matt King: My friends on the mainland think just because I leave in Hawaii, I live in paradise, like a permanent vacation. We're all just out here, sipping Mai Tais, shaking our hips, catching waves. Are they insane? Do they think we are immune to life? How can they possibly think our families are less screwed up, our cancers less fatal, our heartache less painful?



Matt King: A family seems exactly like an archipelago. All part of the same whole, but still seperate and alone and always drifting slowly apart. 



Matt King: I don't want my daughters growing up entitled and spoiled. And I agree with my father - you give your children enough money to do something but not enough to do nothing. 



Matt King: Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.





Matt: "I thought you were supposed to be getting your act together?"

Alexandra: "I've been doing really well, actually. Nobody ever seems to notice that." 




Cousin Hugh: "What you've been going through, that's a tough deal."
Matt: "I'm just trying to keep my head above water."


Matt King: [to Elizabeth] Goodbye, Elizabeth. Goodbye, my love, my friend, my pain, my joy. Goodbye. Goodbye. Goodbye. 



No comments:

Post a Comment