Thursday 18 March 2010

Evita (1996)

Evita is the 1996 film adaptation of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical based on the life of Eva Perón. It was directed by Alan Parker and starred Madonna, Antonio Banderas and Jonathan Pryce. It was released on December 25, 1996 by Hollywood Pictures and Cinergi Pictures.

Plot:  Evita traces the life of Eva Duarte (later Eva Duarte de Perón) (Madonna) from a child from the lower class to becoming the first lady and spiritual leader of Argentina.

The film begins with the announcement of Eva's death and public funeral as the audience is introduced to the film's narrator, Che (Antonio Banderas), an everyman who tells the story of Eva's rise to power and subsequent illness and death, appearing in many different guises and serving as Eva's conscience and critic. The film flashes back to Eva's childhood, and she is seen as a young girl attempting to attend her father's funeral in the town of Junín with her mother and siblings. But her father's wife and other family (who are middle class) ban Eva's family from entering and carry Eva out screaming and claiming that she's her "papa" after she runs in on her own and pays her last respect.


At age 15, Eva decides to leave Junín to seek a better life and hitches a ride to Buenos Aires with a tango singer, Augustin Magaldi (Jimmy Nail), with whom she's having an affair. After Magaldi leaves her, she progresses through several relationships with increasingly influential men, becoming a model, actress and radio personality, until her fateful meeting with Colonel Juan Perón (Jonathan Pryce) at a fundraiser. Perón's connection with Eva lends him a populist air, since she is from the working class (as is Perón himself). Eva has a radio show during Perón's rise and uses all her skills to promote Perón, even when the controlling administration has him jailed in an attempt to stunt his political momentum. The groundswell of support Eva generates forces the government to release Perón, and he finds the people enamored of him and Eva. Perón wins election to the presidency and Eva promises the new government will serve the "descamisados" (literally, "those without shirts"—i.e., the working poor). Eva establishes a foundation and distributes aid while the Perónists otherwise plunder the public treasury. Argentine society is very class-based, and the military officer corps and social elites despise Eva's common roots and affinity for the poor. During a world tour Evita becomes ill and is rushed home. Towards the end of her life she understands that she is terminally ill but rationalizes that her life was short because she shone like the "brightest fire" and helps Perón prepare to go on without her. A large crowd surrounds the Casa Rosada in a candlelight vigil praying for her recovery when the light of her room goes out, signifying her death. Eva's funeral is shown again. Che is seen at her coffin, and he kisses it.



Source: Wikipedia

 

Don't Cry for Me Argentina







It won't be easy, you'll think it strange
When I try to explain how I feel
That I still need your love after all that I've done


You won't believe me
All you will see is a girl you once knew
Although she's dressed up to the nines
At sixes and sevens with you


I had to let it happen, I had to change
Couldn't stay all my life down at heel
Looking out of the window, staying out of the sun


So I chose freedom
Running around, trying everything new
But nothing impressed me at all
I never expected it to


Don't cry for me Argentina
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance


And as for fortune, and as for fame
I never invited them in
Though it seemed to the world they were all I desired


They are illusions
They are not the solutions they promised to be
The answer was here all the time
I love you and hope you love me


Don't cry for me Argentina (*)


Have I said too much?
There's nothing more I can think of to say to you.
But all you have to do is look at me to know
That every word is true




Another Suitcase in Another Hall






I don't expect my love affairs to last for long.
Never fool myself that my dreams will come true.
Being used to trouble I anticipate it
But all the same I hate it, wouldn't you?


*So what happens now?
Another suitcase in another hall
So what happens now?
Take your picture off another wall


Where am I going to?
You'll get by, you always have before
Where am I going to?
(Don't ask anymore.)


Time and time again I've said that I don't care.
That I'm immune to gloom, that I'm hard through and through.
But every time it matters all my words desert me
So anyone can hurt me, and they do (*)


Call in three months time and I'll be fine, I know
Well maybe not that fine, but I'll survive anyhow
I won't recall the names and places of each sad occasion
But that's no consolation here and now. (*)




High Flying, Adored

 




High flying adored,
so young
the instant queen.

A rich beautiful thing
of all the talents
A cross between
A fantasy of the bedroom
and a saint.

And you were just a backstreet girl
hustling and fighting
scratching and biting


High flying adored did you believe
in your wildest moments
all this would be yours
that you'd become the lady of them all.


Were there stars in your eyes
when you crawled in at night.
From the bars, from the sidewalks
from the gutter theatrical


Don't look down
it's a long long way to fall.


High flying adored
what happens now
where do you go from here.


For someone
on top of the world
the views not exactly clear.


A shame you did it all at twenty-six
There are no mysteries now.
Nothing can thrill you
no one fulfill you.


High flying adored
I hope you come
to terms with boredom
So famous so easily
so soon
it's not the wisest thing to be


You don't care if they love you
It's been done before
you despair if they hate you
you'll be drained of all energy
All the young who've made it
Would agree


High flying adored
That's good to hear,
but uninportant


My story's quite usual
local girl
makes good weds famous man


I was stuck in the right place
at the perfect time
Filled a gap I was lucky
but one thing I'll say for me
No one else can fill it like I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment